- The majority of my time has been put towards the external audit that is happening with Deloitte
- I have been working with the Administrative Commissioner (Julia) on collecting all of the 2013-2014 bank statements. This required scanning the hard copies that Julia has been collecting in Ottawa since taking her on her current role in December 2013, and requesting the missing statements (prior to December 2013) from the bank.
- The auditing company, Deloitte, will be auditing all 12 CFES accounts. The majority of these accounts where not used in the 2013-2014 fiscal year, so the transactions only include the monthly bank fees.
- The audit will result in recommendations that we should consider adding to the CFES policy manual. These recommendations should be completed in time for pre-week at congress.
- I am currently working on collecting up the rest of the documents required for submission to Deloitte, and I am drafting the financial statements they will be working with. The statements include an income statement and a balance sheet. The CFES has had neither of these financial statements in the recent years.
- Documents will be submitted to Deloitte by November 30th 2014. As long as everything goes smoothly, there will be no problem having the audit completed and ready to present at Congress 2015.
- Since PM I have been working on getting the online banking set-up that was approved by the BoD at PM.
- The President and I are both set up as administrators, but I have not given access to the activities yet. Once all the documents are completed with the audit I will be focussing more time to finalizing the launch of online banking with the activities. I will be working on making sure all activities have access to online banking by Congress 2015.
- Travel Fund – Travel fund applications are currently out for the officer team, and they will be closing on Nov 30th. For the first time we have tried a new method for travel funding requests where officers must provide proof that they have found the cheapest travel within reason, and that they have looked for funding from other means as well. The funding decision will be finalized on December 2nd at 9pm EST at the special board meeting.
- Congress Session Prep
- Financials 101 – I will be running the Financials 101 session at Congress 2015. By performing an external audit of the CFES I am learning lots about the level of detail records need to be in, and best practices for organizing organization finances. I will be sharing these best practices with the members in my session at Congress 2015.
- Faculty Relations Panel – I am facilitating the faculty relations panel at Congress 2015. I have been working on securing speakers from one school from every region for the panel. I have confirmed Western, McGill, and Dalhousie (Greg Bowser), and I have reached out to the WESST ambassador for a final panellist. I will be developing panel questions over Christmas break, before pre-week.
- Toastmasters – I am the seconder on the Toastmasters session. I have reached out to Ben to get more information about where we are in the planning stage.
Administration and Common Activities
- Not for profit act – I submitted the Continuance Documents to Corporations Canada, but unfortunately a Notice of Deficiency was returned. In the documents we chose to propose a name change of the organization to make sure the French version was correct. The required NUANS name search report did not match the proposed name on the form because I only performed the search report for the French version of the name. A new NUANS report will be generated that includes names in both French and English, and this report will be resubmitted with the Continuance Documents. We have six months to complete this before our request is considered abandoned, but I will have it done before Congress 2016.
- Membership fees – The large majority of members have paid their fees. We are only missing fees from BCIT, SFU Surrey, SMU, StFX, UPEI, and UQAC. I am now preparing for the preparation of the 2015-2016 membership fees. I am waiting on Engineers Canada to release the most recent Undergraduate Enrolment Report. This should be released before congress, so I will be able to make membership fee invoices at this time.
- VPFA Handbook – I am continue to generate ideas to include in the VPFA Handbook that I will be creating. This handbook will allow for proper transition of the VPFA role, and limit lost knowledge within the organization.
- Lean Six Sigma – I have been working to close out the finances of Lean Six Sigma. We are currently missing course fees from two more participants, totalling $690. If we do not receive these course fees, it looks like Six Sigma will have run at a deficit of $2,698.75. The majority of this deficit is from the various things that went wrong throughout the week. I will keep working on receiving the last of the course fees in order to get the deficit down to the $2,000 that the Vinh Du explained at PM.
- November 30th Financial Report – I have prepared the November 30th Financial Report to be distributed to the members.
- General finances – I have been writing and depositing checks to maintain the finances of the general operation of CFES.